Microsoft KB Archive/248969
Article ID: 248969
Article Last Modified on 10/25/2006
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack 1
This article was previously published under Q248969
When you process software inventory files, SMS_SOFTWARE_INVENTORY_PROCESSOR (Sinvproc) may fail to open an .sic or .sid file with the following error messages in its log file.
When this occurs, zero byte .sic or .sid files are created in the SMS\Inboxes\Sinv.box\BADSinv folder.
This issue can occur if the software inventory files are very large or the Client Access Points (CAPs) from where the files are being copied are using slow connections. When Windows is copying a file, you cannot open it.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Systems Management Server version 2.0. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
236325 How to Obtain the Latest Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Systems Management Server version 2.0 This problem was first corrected in Systems Management Server version 2.0 Service Pack 2..
If the copying process takes too long, SMS_SOFTWARE_INVENTORY_PROCESSOR attempts to process the file before the file is copied. Sinvproc cannot open the file and determines that the file is bad. Sinvproc then attempts to move the file to the BADSINV folder and creates a zero length file to act as a place holder for the file name. When the move does not work, the zero-byte file is left in the folder.
To install the update, use the appropriate method.
Method 1: Using the Update Installer
NOTE: This method is only for I386-based computers.
- Copy the update folder structure to a share on your network. The Q248969.exe program is a Microsoft Windows Installer file that updates specific files on your site server.
- Log on to your site server using an account that has administrative privileges.
- On the site server, close the Systems Management Server Administrator console.
- Run Q248969.exe and follow the directions in the wizard. You can run the file in silent mode by using the /s switch.
Method 2: Manual Installation
- Close the Systems Management Server Administrator console and stop the Systems Management Server Site Component Manager and Systems Management Server Executive services.
- Replace the Sinvproc.dll file in the
Platformfolder with the latest version included in the update.
- Restart the Systems Management Server Site Component Manager and Systems Management Server Executive services.
Additional query words: prodsms
Keywords: kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbbug kbenv kberrmsg kbfix kbinventory kbsms200sp2fix KB248969