Microsoft KB Archive/248869
Article ID: 248869
Article Last Modified on 11/4/2002
- Microsoft Publisher 2000 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q248869
When you attempt to save a Microsoft Publisher 2000 publication as a Microsoft Publisher 98 file, you may receive the following error message:
When you click Details, you receive the following error message:
This behavior can occur if your publication contains an embedded image.
Publisher 2000 treats an embedded image in your publication as a ClipArt Gallery object, which is required to have a file name. When you attempt to save the publication as a Publisher 98 file, Publisher attempts to use a file name which does not exist, resulting in the error message mentioned in the "Symptoms" section of this article.
To resolve this problem, obtain Microsoft Office 2000 Service Release 1/1a (SR-1/SR-1a).
To obtain SR-1/SR-1a, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
245025 OFF2000: How to Obtain and Install Microsoft Office 2000 Service Release 1/1a (SR-1/SR-1a)
To work around this issue, use one of the following methods.
Use Graphics Manager to create a link to the embedded graphic:
- Open the publication.
- On the Tools menu, point to Commercial Printing Tools, and then click Graphics Manager.
- In the Graphics Manager dialog box, you may see a generic graphic file (such as "graphic_1") with no file type specified. Click this generic file, and then click Create Link.
- Click Create a file from the full-resolution graphic stored in the publication and link to that, and then click OK.
This process creates a valid file type for the file.
- After you create and link the generic graphic file, re-embed the file and then eliminate the link.
- Save the publication as a Publisher 98 file.
Delete the embedded image, and then save the publication as a Publisher 98 file.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was corrected in Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1/SR-1a.
Additional query words: mspub pub2k 9.0 pub9 general protection gpf ipf
Keywords: kbbug kbfix kbconvert KB248869