Microsoft KB Archive/247894
Article ID: 247894
Article Last Modified on 2/28/2007
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
This article was previously published under Q247894
For a Microsoft Windows XP version of this article, see 315275.
After you install Windows or upgrade to Windows 2000, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- Your network adapter may not work. Because of this, you lose network connectivity, and all related network functionality.
- Your device may be listed as not working and not having a driver installed in Device Manager.
- If you try to install a Windows 2000 driver for your network adapter, it may not be on the list of available network adapter drivers. If you install drivers from Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 95, or Microsoft Windows NT, the drivers do not work on your Windows 2000-based computer.
- If you upgraded your Windows-based computer, your network adapter may have worked correctly before the upgrade.
This issue can occur if you are using a network adapter that is not supported in Windows 2000. Note that some network adapters that are supported in Windows NT, Windows 98, and Windows 95 are not supported in Windows 2000.
To resolve this issue, use either of the following methods:
Contact the manufacturer of your network adapter to inquire about the availability of an updated driver for your network adapter that is compatible with Windows 2000.
Uninstall your unsupported network adapter, and then obtain and install a supported network adapter.
The following list includes the network adapters that are not supported in Windows 2000:
- Artisoft AE-1
- 3Com Fast EtherLink 10/100Mb Bus-Master PCI (3C595-TX) [PCI]
- 3Com EtherLink III Bus-Master PCI Ethernet (3C590C) [PCI]
- 3Com EtherLink III Bus-Master PCI Ethernet (3C590TPO) [PCI]
- 3Com EtherLink III Bus-Master PCI Ethernet (3C590) [PCI]
- 3Com EtherLink II or IITP (8 or 16-bit) (3C503)
- DEC (DE100) EtherWorks LC
- DEC (DE200) EtherWorks Turbo
- DEC (DE101) EtherWorks LC/TP
- DEC (DEC422) EtherWorks Turbo EISA Adapter
- HP PC LAN Adapter-8 TL (HP27250)
- HP PC LAN Adapter-8 TP (HP27245)
- HP PC LAN Adapter-16 TP (HP27247A)
- HP PC LAN Adapter-16 TL Plus (HP27252)
- HP PC LAN Adapter-16 TP Plus (HP27247B)
- Intel EtherExpress 16 Flash [ISA]
- Intel EtherExpress 16C [ISA]
- Intel EtherExpress 16 [ISA]
- Intel EtherExpress 16TP [ISA]
- Intel EtherExpress 32
- Intel TokenExpress 32bit EISA 16/4
- Novell/Anthem NE3200 or compatible
- Novell/Anthem NE3200T
- Novell/Anthem NE1000
- NE1000 Compatible
- Olicom 32bit Token-Ring Server EISA 16/4 (OC-3135)
- Ungermann-Bass Ethernet NIUpc Adapter
- Ungermann-Bass Ethernet NIUpc/EOTP Adapter
- Accton ENN2216 PCMCIA Ethernet
- IBM Lan streamer
NOTE: These adapters are not included in the Windows Hardware Compatibility List (HCL).For additional information about devices that are not on the HCL, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
142865 Microsoft Support Policy on Hardware Not on Windows HCL
Additional query words: ee16
Keywords: kbhardware kbnetwork kbprb KB247894