Microsoft KB Archive/246294
Article ID: 246294
Article Last Modified on 9/11/2006
- Microsoft Windows Media Player 7.1
- Microsoft Windows Media Player 6.4
- Microsoft Windows Media Player 7.0
This article was previously published under Q246294
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
After you upgrade Windows Media Player, you may receive the following error message when attempting to play audio or video:
This issue can occur if the Quartz.dll file is damaged or missing.
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
To resolve this issue, rename the Quartz.dll file in the Windows\System folder, and then download and install Windows Media Player again:
- Rename the quartz.dll file. Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
- In the Named box, type quartz.dll, and then click Find Now.
- Right-click the Quartz.dll file, and then click Rename.
- In the Named box, type quartz.bak, and then click OK.
- Download and install the Windows Media Player installer file, from the following Microsoft Web site:
- Test to determine if the issue is resolved. If it is not, use Registry Editor to remove the following registry key, follow steps 1 through 5 again, and then test again:
For additional information about troubleshooting Media Player errors, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
234019 Windows Media Player Invalid File Format Error Message
Additional query words: wmptop
Keywords: kbenv kberrmsg kbprb kbsound KB246294