Microsoft KB Archive/244869
Article ID: 244869
Article Last Modified on 2/28/2007
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
This article was previously published under Q244869
When you use the Microsoft printer drivers included in Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 4 or later for any of the Lexmark printer models listed later in this article on a Windows 2000-based computer, the following issues may occur:
- When you attempt to add Lexmark printer drivers from a Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 4 or later CD-ROM to be used with Point and Print in a new installation of Windows 2000, you may receive the following error message:
- When you upgrade your Microsoft Windows NT 4.0-based computer with Service Pack 4 or later to Windows 2000, the Windows NT 4.0 universal PCL (RASDD) drivers are not upgraded to the Windows 2000 universal printer (UNIDRV) drivers. Also, if this computer is a print server, Windows NT 4.0-based and Windows 2000-based computers that connect to this print server use the legacy RASDD drivers instead of the UNIDRV drivers.
These issues occur because the printer model names in the .inf files included in Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 4 or later and Windows 2000 do not match.
To work around these issues, use the Fixprnsv.exe tool to install the appropriate printer drivers. This tool is located in the Printers\Fixprnsv folder on the Windows 2000 Server CD-ROM.
NOTE: This tool is not included on the Windows 2000 Professional CD-ROM.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
These issues occur with the following Lexmark printer models:
- Lexmark Optra E+
- Lexmark Optra S 1250
- Lexmark Optra S 1255
- Lexmark Optra S 1620
- Lexmark Optra S 1625
- Lexmark Optra S 1650
- Lexmark Optra S 1855
- Lexmark Optra S 2420
- Lexmark Optra S 2450
- Lexmark Optra S 2455
- Lexmark Optra SC 1275
In an environment in which Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 is a print server to both Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 clients, all clients must use the Windows NT 4.0 driver. This driver is available on the Windows NT 4.0 SP4 CD-ROM or on the Windows 2000 Server CD-ROM.
In environments in which Windows 2000 is the print server to both Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 clients, Fixprnsv.exe properly installs the Windows NT 4.0 driver on the Windows 2000 print server for point-and-print.
If you attempt to install the Windows 2000 drivers on a Windows NT 4.0 print server by using the "Addition Drivers" method, you receive the following error message:
Keywords: kberrmsg kbprb kbprint KB244869