Microsoft KB Archive/244405
Article ID: 244405
Article Last Modified on 10/25/2006
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack 1
This article was previously published under Q244405
Distribution Manager may not delete the compressed copy of a package that a child primary site receives from its parent, when the package is deleted from the Systems Management Server Administrator console at the parent site.
The Distribution Manager log file (Distmgr.log) may indicate that the package files were deleted when in fact they were not, as shown in the following example:
~Starting package processing thread,thread ID = 129 $$<SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER> <Fri Oct 15 17:09:46.507 1999 Pacific Daylight Time><thread=225 (0xE1)> ... Start deleting the package 61000012... $$<SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER><Fri Oct 15 17:09:46.677 1999 Pacific Daylight Time><thread=297 (0x129)> ~Successfully deleted the package 61000012 $$<SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER><Fri Oct 15 17:09:46.677 1999
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Systems Management Server version 2.0. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
236325 How to Obtain the Latest Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack
To work around this behavior, manually delete the compressed copy of the package at the child site after deleting it from the parent site using the Systems Management Server Administrator console.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Systems Management Server version 2.0 This problem was first corrected in Systems Management Server version 2.0 Service Pack 2..
To install the hotfix, use the appropriate method.
Method 1: Using the Hotfix Installer
NOTE: This method is only for I386-based computers.
- Copy the hotfix folder structure to a share on your network. QQ244405.exe is a Microsoft Windows Installer file that updates specific files on your site server.
- Log on to your site server using an account with administrative privileges.
- On the site server, close the Systems Management Server Administrator console.
- Run Q244405.exe and follow the directions in the wizard. You can run the file in Quiet mode using the /s switch.
Step 2: Manual Installation
- Close the Systems Management Server Administrator console and stop the Systems Management Server Site Component Manager and Systems Management Server Executive services. If the SMS_SITE_BACKUP service is running, stop that as well.
- Replace the Distmgr.dll file in the
platformfolder with the version obtained from the hotfix.
- Restart the Systems Management Server Site Component Manager and Systems Management Server Executive services.
Additional query words: prodsms
Keywords: kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbbug kbfix kbsms200sp2fix kbsoftwaredist KB244405