Microsoft KB Archive/239938
Article ID: 239938
Article Last Modified on 10/26/2007
- Microsoft Office 2000 Premium Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Developer Edition
This article was previously published under Q239938
A utility that helps you completely remove Microsoft Office 2000 is available from Microsoft. The Office 2000 CD1 File and Registry Eraser Utility removes most of the files and Windows registry settings that remain on the computer after you remove Office. This utility is designed to be used on stand-alone computers or workstations. Do not use this utility to completely clean a working copy of Office from a computer. Run this utility only after you run the Setup program for Office 2000, and then click Remove Office.
When you expand the Eraser2k.exe package, the following seven files are extracted:
Eraser2000.exe Oclean9.dll Offcln9.exe Offcln9a.opc Offcln9b.opc Offcln9e.opc Readme.txt
For information about using the utility, read the Readme.txt file. IMPORTANT:
- The Office 2000 File and Registry Eraser Utility does not run on operating systems later than Windows 2000.
- The Office 2000 File and Registry Eraser Utility has not been tested with Microsoft Windows XP.
- Microsoft does not recommend or suggest that you use the Office 2000 File and Registry Eraser Utility on Microsoft Windows Server systems, which include those running Small Business Server. This issue can also affect a Windows Workstation when used as a server. It is possible that this utility can cause your system to stop responding when you restart your system (note that this depends upon the state of your system).
Microsoft recommends that you backup all critical data before you run this utility. If this issue occurs, please contact Microsoft Support Services. To locate support options, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
For more information about how to download Microsoft Support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
The following updates have been made to the Office 2000 File and Registry Eraser Utility:
- Version 3.1 dated April 25, 2002:
The utility is disabled when Microsoft Windows XP is installed.
- Version 3.0 dated April 20, 2001:
Support for Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me).
The utility is disabled when Microsoft Office XP is installed.
- Version 2.1 dated March 9, 2000:
MAPI Repair Tool not removed, including the files and registry keys for the Fixmapi.exe and Mapistub.dll files.
- Version 2.0 dated February 3, 2000:
Detection of the operating system for Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows NT, and Microsoft Windows 2000. Running Windows 2000, many shared system components are not removed, such as MDAC and the Windows Installer program.
To verify your specific version of the Office 2000 CD1 File and Registry Eraser Utility, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders.
- In the Search for files or folders named box, type Eraser2000.exe and then click Search Now.
- Right-click Eraser2000.exe, and then click Properties. Click the Version tab.
Additional query words: OFF2000 Eraser2000 cleaner erase eraser2k eraser 2000 erace erase2000
Keywords: kbproductlink kbdownload kbfile kbgraphxlinkcritical kbinfo kbsetup KB239938