Microsoft KB Archive/239564
Article ID: 239564
Article Last Modified on 10/25/2006
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack 1
This article was previously published under Q239564
Systems Management Server (SMS) 2.0 client components may be reinstalled during the Client Configuration Installation Manager (CCIM) periodic (30-day) verification. Because all base and optional components are reinstalled, components such as hardware and software inventory are taken regardless of your schedule.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Systems Management Server version 2.0. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
236325 How to Obtain the Latest Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Systems Management Server version 2.0 This problem was first corrected in Systems Management Server version 2.0 Service Pack 2..
To install the hotfix:
- Log on to your site server using an account with administrative privileges.
- On the site server, close the SMS Administrator console.
- Run Q239564.exe and follow the directions in the wizard.
This hotfix is one part of a set of two hotfixes. You should install both hotfixes for best results. For additional information about the second hotfix, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
238144 SMS: Client Installation Corrupts Path Statement in Autoexec.bat
After Q239564.exe is installed, allow the updated Compver.ini and Clicore.exe files to be propagated to all Logon Points and Client Access Points (CAPS) in the site.
NOTE: The default Client Configuration Installation Manager (CCIM) polling interval is 23 hours. Therefore, it may take up to 23 hours for the hotfixed files to be propagated to the clients. To speed up this process, use any of the following methods:
- Stop and restart the SMS Client Service on each client. For Microsoft Windows NT, simply stop and restart the service. For Microsoft Windows 95 or Microsoft Windows 98, a restart is required.
- Create a software distribution for one of the Resource Kit tools (Setevnt.exe or Cliutils.exe), along with the appropriate parameters to start a CCIM work cycle. The tools are located on SMS 2.0 CD-ROM 2.
For Setevnt.exe the syntax is:
For Cliutils.exe, the syntax is:
Cliutils KICK "Client Configuration Installation Manager"
- If you have the Networking Logon Client Installation option enabled, have users log off and back on.
- Have users run SMSMan manually.
NOTE: Windows 95/98 clients may require a restart after the hotfixed files have been installed to receive full hotfix functionality. To verify this, review the Clicore.log file after the update. If a restart is required, the entry listed below will be logged. Because of the nature of this hotfix, Microsoft recommends that a mandatory restart policy be used for all Windows 95/98 users after the hotfix has been applied.
Reboot required - disabling component until reboot
Additional query words: prodsms 30 day verify reinstall
Keywords: kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbbug kbclient kbfix kbsms200sp2fix KB239564