Microsoft KB Archive/236913
Article ID: 236913
Article Last Modified on 10/25/2006
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 1.2 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q236913
When you collect ISV MIF files using the Systems Management Server Inventory Agent (Inv32cli.exe or Invwin32.exe), you may receive the following error message:
This issue can occur if the ISV MIF file listed in the error message is already open by another inventory agent.
A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to computers that are experiencing this specific problem. This fix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the next Systems Management Server service pack that contains this hotfix.
To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
NOTE: In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The typical support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.
The English version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:
Date Time Size File name Platform ---------------------------------------------------- 6/28/99 8:21pm 283,104 Inv32cli.exe x86 6/28/99 8:21pm 296,368 Invwin32.exe x86 6/28/99 8:22pm 866,576 Inv32cli.exe Alpha 6/28/99 8:23pm 883,472 Invwin32.exe Alpha
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Systems Management Server version 1.2.
To install the hotfix, perform the following steps on the Systems Management Server site server:
- Replace the Inv32cli.exe file in the <SMS_root>\Site.srv\Maincfg.box\Client.src\<Platform>.bin folder with the version included in the hotfix.
- Replace the Invwin32.exe file in the <SMS_root>\Site.srv\Maincfg.box\Client.src\<Platform>.bin folder with the version included in the hotfix.
- Replace the Invwin32.exe file in the <SMS_root>\Site.srv\<Platform>.bin folder with the version included in the hotfix.
- Maintenance Manager replicates the updated files to the Systems Management Server logon servers on its next work cycle. To update the clients, either manually run the Upgrade.bat file on each client or follow the instructions in the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
166771 SMS: How to Force Site-Wide Client Updates
- You need to reset the site for Invwin32.exe (SMS_INVENTORY_AGENT_NT) to be copied to all servers managed by the Site Configuration Manager.
Additional query words: prodsms inventory isv mif
Keywords: kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbbug kberrmsg kbfix kbnetwork KB236913