Microsoft KB Archive/232068
Article ID: 232068
Article Last Modified on 11/21/2006
- Microsoft Internet Information Server 4.0
- Microsoft Internet Information Services 5.0
This article was previously published under Q232068
We strongly recommend that all users upgrade to Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) version 6.0 running on Microsoft Windows Server 2003. IIS 6.0 significantly increases Web infrastructure security. For more information about IIS security-related topics, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
IN THIS TASK
This step-by-step article explains how to download, install, and remove MetaEdit 2.2. The MtaEdt22.exe file is a downloadable, self-extracting file that contains the IIS MetaEdit 2.2 utility. The MetaEdit 2.2 utility is used to help to troubleshoot issues and to modify IIS metabase values.
back to the top
- Microsoft provides this utility "as-is," without the warranty either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and or fitness for a particular purpose. This article assumes that you are familiar with the IIS metabase and the tools that are used to back up and to restore the metabase. Microsoft support professionals can only help explain the functionality of the IIS snap-in for the Microsoft Management Console (MMC).
- Using the MetaEdit utility incorrectly causes serious problems that require you to re-install IIS or your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems that result from the incorrect use of the MetaEdit utility can be solved. Use MetaEdit at your own risk.
- For information about how to edit the IIS metabase, view the Help topics in MetaEdit.
NOTE: Always back up the metabase by using the IIS snap-in for the MMC before you edit the metabase. Verify that the backup copy can be restored if a problem occurs. For more information, view the "Configuration Backup/Restore" Help topic in the MMC.
Download the Utility
The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Release Date: March 1, 2001
For additional information about how to download Microsoft Support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to Obtain Microsoft Support Files from Online Services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help to prevent any unauthorized changes to the file. To download this utility, click the link, and then click Save to save the MtaEdt22.exe utility to a folder of your choice on drive C.
back to the top
Install the Utility
NOTE: Microsoft Product Support Services does not support the installation or use of this tool. It is provided "as-is" to help IIS users. (See the Warnings section in this article.)
- Open a command prompt and change to the directory where you downloaded and saved the utility.
- Double click MtaEdt22.exe to run and extract the files it contains.
- Click Yes if you agree with the terms of the license agreement. The installation routine extracts the files contained in the MtaEdt22.exe file, and then runs an extracted Setup.exe file to install MetaEdit 2.2.
- When the main setup routine begins, accept the default installation directory or select another directory, and then click the large setup button to continue.
- Select the program group where you want to add the MetaEdit 2.2 icon or accept the default, and then click OK.
- Click Continue when the installation has completed.
Remove the Utility
- Click Start, click Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Click to select MetaEdit 2.2 (x86), and then click Change/Remove.
- When you are prompted to completely remove MetaEdit 2.2 (x86), click Yes.
- When the Add/Remove Programs tool has completed removing the application, click OK.
For additional information about MetaEdit and Adsutil, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
240225 Description of Adsutil and MetaEdit Utilities Used to Modify the Metabase
For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
300672 HOW TO: Create a Metabase Backup in IIS 5
Additional query words: kbfile uninstaller meta-edit meta-base regedit regedt
Keywords: kbhowto kbhowtomaster kbfile KB232068