Microsoft KB Archive/230037
Article ID: 230037
Article Last Modified on 11/5/2003
- Microsoft PowerPoint 98 for Macintosh
This article was previously published under Q230037
When you print from Microsoft PowerPoint, you may receive one of the following error messages:
The computer may also stop responding (hang).
This problem occurs when you print to USB Epson printers from blue Power Mac G3s, original bondi blue iMacs, and newer 5-color iMacs using Mac OS 8.5 or 8.5.1. These errors are caused by the way in which PowerPoint refers to a function in the Mac OS QuickDraw system.
This has been resolved by an installable patch to PowerPoint 98 that has been made part of the Microsoft Office 98 Macintosh Edition/Mac OS 9 Updater.
To obtain and install the Office 98 Update for Mac OS 9.0, see the following Microsoft World Wide Web site:
To run the Office 98 Update for Mac OS 9.0, follow these steps:
- Double-click the Office 98 Update for Mac OS 9.0 icon.
- In the dialog box that displays the Readme file, click Continue.
- In the Office 98 Update for Mac OS 9.0 dialog box, click Update.
- Click Continue to the message that tells you the update was successful.
- In the Microsoft Office First Run dialog box, click Install.
- Click Quit to the message that tells you the installation was successful.
- The files that were updated by the Office 98 Update for Mac OS 9.0 are now in the Trash. To delete these files, click Empty Trash on the Special menu.
NOTE: The Office 98 Update for Mac OS 9.0 creates a file named "MS Office 98 Updater Log" on the root of your System hard disk. You can open this file in any text editor. It lists the items that were updated on your hard disk.
To work around this problem, set up a custom show. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Slide Show menu, click Custom Shows, and then click New.
- Under Slides in Presentation, select one slide to include in the custom show, and then click Add.
- Type a name in the Slide Show Name box, and then click OK.
- Click Close.
You should be able to print without difficulty.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in PowerPoint 98 Macintosh Edition.
Additional query words: ppt98 driver 8.5.1 hang hangs hanging hung lock up locks locking locked lockup freeze freezes freezing froze frozen stop stopping stopped won't respond
Keywords: kberrmsg kbprb KB230037