Microsoft KB Archive/216258
Article ID: 216258
Article Last Modified on 10/30/2006
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
This article was previously published under Q216258
For a Microsoft Windows XP version of this article, see 314459.
IN THIS TASK
This article describes how to perform an unattended installation of Windows by starting your Intel-based computer from a CD-ROM. In Windows 2000, an unattended installation from a CD-ROM can be performed.
To perform an unattended installation from a CD-ROM, the following conditions must be met:
- The computer must support booting from a CD-ROM, and must adhere to the El-Torito non-emulation specification.
- The unattended answer file must be renamed to Winnt.sif and copied to a floppy disk so Setup can access it.
- The answer file must contain a valid [Data] section. This is explained later in this article.
NOTE: The following limitations exist with this installation method:
- The installation is limited to a single partition.
- You cannot specify third-party drivers during Setup.
Preparing the Computer for an Unattended Installation from a CD-ROM
- Create an unattended answer file using the Setup Manager tool included with the Microsoft Windows 2000 Resource Kit.
- Add a [Data] section with the following entries to the unattended answer file:
- UnattendedInstall=Yes - Value must be set to "yes"
- MSDosInitiated=No - Value must be set to "no" or Setup stops during the graphical portion of Setup
- AutoPartition=1 - If the value is set to 1, the installation partition is automatically selected. If the value is set to 0 (zero), you are prompted for the installation partition during the text portion of Setup.
- Save the unattended answer file as winnt.sif on a floppy disk.
- Insert the Windows CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive and the floppy disk into the disk drive.
- Change the boot order in the CMOS so that the CD-ROM is first in the list. For information about how to do so, refer to the documentation included with your computer, or contact the manufacturer.
- Restart your computer. When Setup is started from the CD-ROM, the Winnt.sif file located on the floppy disk is used for the unattended installation.
Additional query words: CDboot
Keywords: kbhowto kbhowtomaster kbsetup KB216258