Microsoft KB Archive/214795
Article ID: 214795
Article Last Modified on 11/1/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition
This article was previously published under Q214795
The Microsoft Printer Migrator (Printmig.exe) utility, included in Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit Supplement 3, allows you to back up or restore a print server configuration. Configuration data is written to the Pm.cab file using the Microsoft Cabinet (CAB) file format. The Printmig.exe tool also saves current server status information to the Pm.log file. Both files are contained in the default folder,
%Systemroot%\System32\Spool\Pm. The following data is written to the Pm.cab file:
- Printers: all defined queues.
- Print monitor ports.
- Printer Migrator recognizes and backs up the following ports:
- Hewlett-Packard Network Port
- LexMark MarkVision Port Monitor (IP/DLC)
- Jet Admin
- LPR Port
- Local Ports
- Digital Network Port
- AppleTalk Port Monitor
- Print Drivers: x86, Alpha, Mips, PPC.
- Share Point information: All Share point information, including file and printer shares.
NOTE: Printer Migrator does not back up the actual printer monitor, only the defined ports. After you complete a restore operation, reinstall the original set of port monitors to ensure complete functionality.
Performing a Print Server Backup
To perform a print server backup, follow these steps:
- On the Actions menu, click Backup.
- In the Target Server box, type the NetBIOS name of the computer to back up. If you leave this box blank, Printer Migrator backs up the local computer.
- In the CAB storage folder box, you can type the folder where the backup files will be stored. The default folder is
- Click OK.
Printer Migrator then writes the printer configuration data to the Pm.cab file. This file may contain driver files, registry information, and any other files contained in the Printer Migrator folder, with the exception of old Pm.cab or Pm.log files.
Restoring a Print Server
To restore a print server, follow these steps:
- On the Actions menu, click Restore.
- Type the file name of the Pm.cab file to be used for the restore in the File name box.
- Type the NetBIOS name of the destination computer in the Target Server box. If you leave this box blank, Printer Migrator restores to the local computer.
NOTE: Printer Migrator temporarily stops both the Windows NT Spooler service and the Print Service for Macintosh service (if installed) on the target computer to restore the print queue information. Before running the Restore command on a print server, make sure that:
- The backup computer and the target computer are both running the same operating system and belong to the same CPU family (x86, Alpha, and so on).
- Print monitor information is consistent between the backup and target computer. If a monitor has not been installed on the target computer, Printer Migrator displays a warning to remind you to install the monitor or service and then run the restore command again.
- You have administrative rights on the target computer.
During the restore process, the Printer Migrator utility display a progress report. The contents of this report are saved in the Pm.log file.
Enumerating Remote Target Command
To enumerate (list) a remote computer's queue information in the utility's display window, follow these steps:
- On the View menu, click Target.
- In the Target Server box, type the NetBIOS name of the target server, and then click OK.
- On the View menu, click Restore Local.
The utility's title bar identifies the computer for the corresponding tree view. This computer is the target of all subsequent operations until you change the entry in the Target Server box. All the information that is displayed is saved during the backup procedure and includes the following:
- Printer queue data
- Print driver data
- Print monitor data
- Print port data
- Print processor data
Disabling the Progress Report
The lower pane of the Printer Migrator window displays a continuous progress report of backup and restore activities including .cab compression, .cab folder placement, status of related services, and warning messages given. By default, this report is stored in the Pm.log text file in the Printer Migrator folder. To disable saving progress information to a log file, do the following:
- On the Options menu, click Log To Text.
NOTE: You can use a standard text editor, such as Microsoft Notepad, to view the contents of the Pm.log file.
For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
255187 Migrating a Print Server Between Windows NT 4.0 Server Computers
Keywords: kbhowto kbprint KB214795