Microsoft KB Archive/212400
Article ID: 212400
Article Last Modified on 5/7/2007
- Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q212400
For a Microsoft Word 2002, Word 2003 version of this article, see 290926.
For a Microsoft Word 97 version of this article, see 159950.
This article answers the more frequently asked questions about international and multilingual features in Microsoft Word 2000.
- What are multilingual features?
Microsoft Word 2000 supports editing and viewing of documents in more than 80 languages by taking advantage of the Unicode text encoding standard. If you work with documents that contain text in more than one language, if you work in a multinational organization, or if you share documents with people who use Office on operating systems that run in other languages, you or your system administrator can customize Word 2000 to handle conventions and requirements unique to each language. You can also make language-specific commands and features available within Word
Here are a few examples of ways you can use multilingual features:
- Automatic language detection The English (U.S.) version of Word 2000 comes with proofing tools for English, Spanish, and French. When you open a document or type text, Microsoft Word can automatically detect the language of the text and use the appropriate spelling and grammar dictionaries, punctuation rules, and sorting conventions for that language. Also, when you copy text in one of these languages into your document, or check spelling in a document that contains text in more than one of these languages, Word can use the spelling dictionaries installed for each language. If you have the Microsoft Proofing Tools Kit, you can perform these tasks in many more languages.
- Correct date, time, number style When you type dates and times, Word can format them in the correct style for different languages.
- Asian characters With a special program called a Global Input Method Editor (Global IME), you can type characters for Asian languages into a Word document on an English-language system. You can then use word-breaking and text formatting conventions specific to Asian text.
- Text editing in right-to-left languages On a system that supports right-to-left languages (such as Arabic), you can edit text in those languages; Word will display and format them correctly.
- Web pages You can create multilingual Web pages and intranet content in Word.
For more information about Microsoft Office 2000 in a multinational organization, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- Where can I get information about how to set my operating system and Microsoft Word for the language I want? Microsoft provides a detailed white paper that describes how to set your Windows operating system and Microsoft Word so you can edit your Word documents in the language you want.
For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
273036 WD2000: Understanding "Word 2000 in a Multilingual Environment" Document Is Available in Download Center
- I want to check the spelling and grammar of my Word document in a specific language. What do I need?
The English version of Microsoft Office 2000 comes with proofing tools for English, Spanish, and French. To check spelling and grammar in other languages, obtain the Microsoft Office 2000 Proofing Tools CD-ROM.
The Office 2000 Proofing Tools provide the fonts, localized templates, and spelling and grammar checkers that you need to create and edit documents in different languages when you use Office programs. Other items included in the Office 2000 Proofing Tools are AutoCorrect lists, AutoSummarize rules (Microsoft Word only), and - for Asian languages - Input Method Editors (IMEs).
The Office 2000 Proofing Tools can be obtained from a licensed reseller (CD assy: X03-80950; SKU: 053-00200), or you can order from http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/default.aspx?View=22.
- In what languages can I proof my Word documents?
The following table lists the languages and proofing tools that you can use in Microsoft Word documents. These proofing tools are available in the Microsoft Office 2000 Proofing Tools. For more information, see question 3.
Language Spelling Grammar Thesaurus Hyphenator Arabic yes yes no no Basque yes no no yes Portuguese (Brazil) yes yes yes yes Bulgarian yes no no yes Catalan yes no yes yes Chinese Simplified no yes no no Chinese Traditional no no no no Croatian yes no no yes Czech yes no yes yes Danish yes no yes yes Dutch yes yes yes yes English yes yes yes yes Estonian yes no yes yes Finnish yes no yes yes French yes yes yes yes German yes yes yes yes Greek yes no yes yes Hebrew yes no no no Hungarian yes yes yes yes Portuguese (Portugal) yes no yes yes Italian yes yes yes yes Japanese yes no yes no Korean yes no no no Latvian yes no no yes Lithuanian yes no no yes Norwegian yes no yes yes Polish yes yes yes yes Romanian yes no yes yes Russian yes yes yes yes Serbian yes no no yes Slovakian yes no yes yes Slovenian yes no yes yes Spanish yes yes yes yes Swedish yes yes yes yes Turkish yes no yes yes Ukrainian yes no no yes
For more information about multilingual and international support in Word, click Microsoft Word Help on the Help menu, type multiple languages in the Office Assistant or the Answer Wizard, and then click Search to view the topics returned.
Additional query words: foreign language checker spelling grammar spell check
Keywords: kbpubtypekc kbmsccsearch kbfaq kbhowto kbinfo kbusage KB212400