Microsoft KB Archive/196161
Article ID: 196161
Article Last Modified on 10/28/2006
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q196161
When you attempt to install Key Management (KM) Server in a site that may already have had KM Server installed in it, the following error message may be displayed:
If you click OK, Key Manager does not complete the installation on the server.
The server named in the error message was either removed from the site, or KM Server was installed on it and was not properly removed by the Setup program.
To work around this problem:
WARNING: If you use the raw mode of the Exchange Server Administrator program (admin /r) incorrectly, serious problems may occur that may require you to reinstall Microsoft Windows NT Server, Microsoft Exchange Server, or both. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems that result from using raw mode incorrectly can be solved. Use raw mode at your own risk.
- Make sure you have a backup copy of a directory in the site.
- Start the Exchange Server Administrator program in raw mode. At a command prompt type the following:
- Click to open the Site container of the site that you want to install KM Server to, then click the Configuration container.
- Click the CA object, and on the Edit menu, click Delete RAW Object.
- Click the Site Encryption Configuration object under the Configuration object, and open File, Raw Properties (press SHIFT+ENTER).
- On the Object Attributes menu, click KM-Server.
- In the Edit Value list, click the Distinguished Name for the server that was named in the error message that had KM Server installed on it at one time.
- Press the DELETE key, and then click Remove so that both the Edit value and Attribute value are blank.
- Click OK.
- Close the Exchange Server Administrator program in RAW Mode.
- Proceed with the KM Server setup.
This article assumes that you do not have a backup of your advanced security data and that you want to install and use the KM Server with new security information.
Additional query words: Removing Installing setup error KMS
Keywords: kbprb KB196161