Microsoft KB Archive/188509
Article ID: 188509
Article Last Modified on 8/3/1999
- Microsoft Outlook 98 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q188509
NOTE: These procedures only apply if you have installed Outlook with the Corporate Workgroup/Other option. This option allows you to use Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) services. To determine your installation type, on the Help Menu click About Microsoft Outlook. In About Microsoft Outlook you should see "Corporate" if you have the Corporate Workgroup installation.
In Microsoft Outlook 98, when you select the Address Book and view an address list in Show Names From, you see an address list that no longer exists. If you attempt to select this list you receive the following error message:
The invalid address list is based on entries in a Contacts folder that was removed from the Outlook Folder List.
To remove the old address list from the Address Book view, follow these steps:
- On the Tools menu, click Services.
- On the Services tab, click Outlook Address Book and then Properties.
- Select the invalid address book from the list under Outlook Address Books and then click Remove Address Book.
- Click Close and then OK. On the File menu click Exit and Log Off.
When you restart Outlook the list of address books will update and the invalid address list will no longer display.
Contact items will appear in the Show Names From list once the folder is designated as an address book. If you have subfolders branching from the main contact folder, each must be desiganted as address books; subfolders do not inherit this setting from the main Contact folder. To designate a Contact folder as an address book, follow these steps:
- In the Outlook Folder List, right-click the Contact folder and then click Properties.
- Click the Outlook Address Book tab and then click to select, "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book."
- Click OK and then restart Outlook as described above in Step 4 of the Resolution section.
For more information about the Outlook Address Book, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
182159 OL98: (CW) User Profiles and Information Services
Additional query words: 98 oab
Keywords: kbprb KB188509