Microsoft KB Archive/182167
Article ID: 182167
Article Last Modified on 7/27/1999
- Microsoft Outlook 98 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q182167
Microsoft Outlook 98 uses a News only version of Microsoft Outlook Express for a newsreader. Installation of this component places a News option on the Go menu in Outlook. If you did not install this component, see the instructions below.
To Install the Outlook Express News Reader
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
- On the Install/Uninstall tab, click to select Microsoft Outlook 98, and click Add/Remove.
- In the Outlook 98 Active Setup dialog box, click Add New Components.
- Depending upon the source of your initial installation, click Install from Web or Install from CD.
- Click Yes, to allow Active Setup to determine the Outlook components installed on your computer.
- Under Extra Components, click to select the check box to the left of Microsoft Outlook Newsreader, and click Next.
- Click to select a Download Site, and click Install Now.
- When the download is complete, quit all programs and restart your computer.
Configuring the Outlook Express Newsreader
Configure Outlook Express to receive messages from newsgoups by following these steps:
- On the Outlook Express Tools menu, click Accounts. On the News tab, click Add and then News.
- In the Internet Connection Wizard, type a Display Name for the News account. This name represents your identity in the newsgroups. Click Next
- In E-mail Address, type your e-mail address. Click Next.
- In News (NNTP) Server, type the name of the news server supplied to you by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). This is usually in a format similar to "News.domain.net." If your news server requires you to log on, click to select (place a checkmark in) the "My news server requires me to log on" check box. Click Next.
- In Friendly Name, enter a Display Name for the account. A display name identifies your subscribed newsgroups in the Folder List and is not a part of the server configuration. Click Next.
- In Choose Connection Type, click to select the type of connection you wish to use when viewing newsgroups. If you have previously configured a Dial-Up Networking connection for Mail in Outlook, click Connect Using My Phone Line. Click Next.
- Click the name for your Dial-Up Networking connection in the list, and then click Next. Click Finish to complete the configuration.
To Use the Outlook Express Newsreader from Outlook
- On the Go menu in Outlook, click News. This opens Outlook Express.
- On the Tools menu in Outlook Express, click Newsgroups.
- In the list of newsgroups, click to select a newsgroup, click Subscribe, and then click OK.
This adds the selected newsgroup to the Outlook Express Name window. Double-click the name of a newsgroup to open it and view its entries.
For additional information about how Outlook 98 setup uses Outlook Express, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
TITLE : OL98: Outlook 98 Appears to Remove Outlook Express
Keywords: kbhowto KB182167