Microsoft KB Archive/178315
Article ID: 178315
Article Last Modified on 9/22/2005
- Microsoft SNA Server 4.0 Service Pack 1
- Microsoft SNA Server 4.0
This article was previously published under Q178315
An APPC or CPIC application that attempts to use a fully qualified Remote APPC LU name instead of a Remote APPC LU alias will not work on the initial retail release of SNA Server 4.0. The following symptoms occur when an APPC or CPIC application attempts to use a fully qualified Remote APPC LU name:
- An APPC application's [MC_]ALLOCATE request fails with primary_rc = AP_COMM_SUBSYSTEM_NOT_LOADED (0xF004)
- A CPIC application's CMALLC request fails with CM_PRODUCT_SPECIFIC_ERROR (rc = 20).
This problem does not occur if the APPC or CPIC application specifies a Remote APPC LU alias in its [MC_]ALLOCATE or CMALLC request.
SNA Server 4.0 implements the ability to limit user access to Remote APPC LU's. However, during implementation of this feature, APPC or CPIC application access to fully qualified Remote APPC LU names was inadvertently disallowed, even if Remote APPC LU security is not enabled using SNA Server Manager.
A fix to this problem is available from Microsoft. To work around this problem without obtaining this fix, do one of the following:
- Modify the APPC application to use a Remote APPC LU alias.
- Change the CPIC side information name to use a Remote APPC LU alias instead of using a fully qualified Remote APPC LU name.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in SNA Server version 4.0. This problem was corrected in the latest SNA Server version 4.0 U.S. Service Pack. For information on obtaining this Service Pack, query on the following word in the Microsoft Knowledge Base (without the spaces):
S E R V P A C K
Keywords: kbbug kbfix kbqfe kbhotfixserver KB178315