Microsoft KB Archive/175536
Article ID: 175536
Article Last Modified on 11/8/2001
- Scholastic's The Magic School Bus Explores the Ocean
This article was previously published under Q175536
When you start Scholastic's Magic School Bus Explores the Ocean for the Macintosh, version 1.0, you receive the following error message:
NOTE: The word "used" is misspelled in the error message--it should be "use."
This can be caused by one of the following:
- The System or application folders are protected.
- The computer cannot read the compact disc.
To resolve this problem, make sure the System Folder and application folders are not protected. If the folders are protected, remove the protection by following these steps:
To remove the protection on the System Folder and applications folders, do the following:
- On the Apple Menu, point to or click Control Panels, and then click General Controls.
- In the Folder Protection area, click the Protect System Folder and the Protect Applications Folders check boxes to clear them.
If the System Folder and application folders are not protected, use the following steps to verify that your compact disc is readable and working correctly.
- Clean the compact disc. Focus on fingerprints, smudges, and dust. These can often cause problems with reading the disc.
- Gently wipe the silver side of the disc with a soft, lint-free cotton cloth. Do not use paper cloth, which may scratch the plastic or leave streaks.
- Wipe from the center out. Do not use a circular motion.
- Ensure you are using the Apple CD-ROM Extension by following these steps:
- On the Apple menu, point to or click Control Panels, and then click Extensions Manager.
- Make sure Apple CD-ROM is listed under Extensions.
- If Apple CD-ROM is not listed, you will need to install it from your Apple Macintosh System Software compact disc.
Additional query words: cd used read problem install launch
Keywords: kbprb kbusage KB175536