Microsoft KB Archive/173816
Article ID: 173816
Article Last Modified on 10/31/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q173816
When you increase the color palette to more than 256 colors, the desktop pattern may turn black and may not be updated when icons are moved.
The bitmap is not updated properly when the mode changes.
Perform one of the following to work around this problem:
- Perform the following steps to reapply the background pattern:
- Click the Start button, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.
- Click the Background tab, click the appropriate Pattern and Wallpaper, click Apply, and then click OK.
- Shut down and restart your computer.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Windows NT version 4.0 with Service Pack 3. We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
Additional query words: 4.00 sp3 video corruption Compaq Deskpro 6000 matrox refresh redraw
Keywords: kbbug kbdisplay kbqfe KB173816