Microsoft KB Archive/173439
How to Configure Internet Mail for The Microsoft Network 2.5
The information in this article applies to:
- The Microsoft Network version 2.5 (OEM Release)
- the operating system: Microsoft Windows 95
This article describes how to configure Microsoft Internet Mail for use with MSN, The Microsoft Network.
Internet Mail is installed by the OEM release of MSN 2.5 and is also available separately from the following Microsoft Web site:
The retail release of MSN 2.5 that was shipped to customers on CD-ROM uses Microsoft Outlook Express as a mail client.
To configure Internet Mail for use with MSN, use the following steps:
- Click Start, point to Programs, and then click Internet Mail.
- If the MSN Sign-In screen appears, click Cancel.
- On the Mail menu, click Options.
- Click the Server tab.
- In the Name box, type your full name.
- In the Organization box, type your company or organization name if appropriate. Otherwise, leave the Organization box empty.
In the Email Address box, type your MSN e-mail address, which should be similar to one of the following
where <member ID> is the user name you use to sign in to MSN.
Under Servers, in the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) box, type the following in lower case letters:
NOTE: If you gain access to MSN through a third-party ISP or local area network (LAN), type the following in lower case letters:
Under Servers, in the Incoming Mail (POP3) box, type the following in lowercase letters:
- Under Logon Settings, click Logon Using Secure Password Authentication.
- Click the Connection tab.
- Under Connection, click I Connect Manually, and then click OK.
NOTE: You must quit Internet Mail for these settings to take effect.
Additional query words: 2.50 msnet msnetwork microsoft-net m.s.n. inetmailw95
Keywords : kbinterop kbmsn
Issue type : kbhowto
Technology : kbWin95search kbWin95
Last Reviewed: June 14, 2001