Microsoft KB Archive/173040
Article ID: 173040
Article Last Modified on 10/31/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q173040
The following events are logged in the system event viewer:
The default directory <WinNT_root>\System32\Dhcp was not present before Microsoft DHCP Server service was installed. The Microsoft DHCP Server service installation process will not check for this directory, nor create it if it is missing.
To work around this problem, perform the following steps:
- Uninstall the Microsoft DHCP Server service from the Networks tool in Control Panel.
- Manually create the <WinNT_root>\System32\Dhcp folder.
- Reinstall Microsoft DHCP Server service from the Networks tool in Control Panel.
- Restart Windows NT Server.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Windows NT version 4.0. We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
Additional query words: install remove dir
Keywords: kbbug kbpending kbsetup KB173040