Microsoft KB Archive/172692
Article ID: 172692
Article Last Modified on 10/31/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q172692
When your Windows NT 4.0 Server starts, you may receive an error message similar to the following:
When you check Event Viewer, you may have the following event log message in the System Log:
When you attempt to start the Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) using the Control Panel Services tool, you receive the following error:
The WINS Client(TCP/IP) device is disabled or has not started.
To resolve this issue you will need to enable the WINS Client(TCP/IP) device and start it using the following steps:
- Click the Start button, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click the Devices icon.
- Click WINS Client(TCP/IP), click Startup, and verify it is set to Automatic.
- Click OK, click Start, and then click Close.
- Double-click the Services icon, and then click Windows Internet Name Service.
- Click Start, and then click Close.
Keywords: kberrmsg kbnetwork KB172692