Microsoft KB Archive/171689
Article ID: 171689
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q171689
When you save a mail merge main document, it will be saved in the foreground even if the Allow Background Saves check box is selected.
When you close the mail merge main document, if you receive the following message and if you click Yes to save, the data file is saved in the foreground:
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article.
The background save option is used to continue working in Microsoft Word while you save a document. Keep in mind that background save uses additional system memory. If you need to conserve system resources, you may want to turn off background save. To disable the Background Save feature, do the following:
- On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Save tab.
- Click to clear the Allow background saves check box.
- When Microsoft Word saves a document in the background, a pulsing disk icon appears on the status bar.
- If Microsoft Word cannot save a document in the background, for example, if you do not have enough hard disk space or if you are saving a document to a floppy disk, Word saves the document in the foreground instead.
Additional query words: 8.0 mailmerge
Keywords: kbmerge kbpending kbprb KB171689