Microsoft KB Archive/171590
Article ID: 171590
Article Last Modified on 10/31/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q171590
During an upgrade from Windows NT version 3.51 to Windows NT version 4.0, the following fatal error message may be displayed:
This error will usually occur during the reboot into the graphical user interface (GUI) portion of Setup.
During the upgrade process, the file Liccpa.cpl was not updated and the upgrade will fail without it.
Replacing the Liccpa.cpl file located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 directory with the one from the Windows NT 4.0 CD will allow the upgrade to continue.
If the File System is File Allocation Table (FAT)
If the file system is FAT, perform the following steps:
- Start your computer in MS-DOS mode, or another operating system if present, and replace the Liccpa.cpl file in the System32 directory with the one from the Windows NT 4.0 CD.
- Restart the computer, and the upgrade process should continue from where it had stopped.
If the File System is NTFS
If the file system is NTFS, perform the following steps:
- Create a new directory and install a parallel copy of Windows NT in this new directory.
- Boot into this parallel copy of Windows NT, and copy the Liccpa.cpl file in the System32 directory to the System32 directory of the original installation of Windows NT.
- Restart the computer, and select the original copy of Windows NT from the Boot.ini menu. The upgrade process should continue from where it stopped.
Additional query words: error 127
Keywords: kbsetup KB171590