Microsoft KB Archive/171532
Article ID: 171532
Article Last Modified on 12/10/2003
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Control Creation Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Learning Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Enterprise Edition
This article was previously published under Q171532
While expanding and collapsing a Watch or Locals Window and then stepping through the code, you may see the Visual Basic IDE crash. This problem can occur if you have a variant property that returns an object. See the MORE INFORMATION below.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article. This bug has been fixed in Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2.
For more information on the Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
170365 INFO: Visual Studio 97 Service Packs - What, Where, and Why
For a list of the Visual Basic 5.0 bugs that were fixed in the Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
171554 INFO: Visual Basic 5.0 Fixes in Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Start a new ActiveX DLL Project (Project1) in Visual Basic 5.0. Class1 is created by default.
In the General Declarations section of Class1, add the following code:
Public Property Get Prop1() as Variant Set Prop1 = me End Property
- From the File menu, select Add Project, and add a Standard EXE project to the group. This project is named Project2 by default.
- The DLL is named Project1.dll by default. From the Project menu, select References, and check Project1.
In the load event of the default form (Form1) of Prject2, add the following code:
Dim x as Class1 Set x = New Class1 Stop
- Set the Standard EXE project as the Startup Project by right-clicking Project2 in the Project Explorer, and selecting the Set as StartUp item.
- Run the project.
- When the Stop statement is hit, open up the Locals Window. This can be done by selecting the Locals Window in the View menu. (You could also use the Watch window to get the same result, adding a watch on the object variable x.)
- In the Locals Windows, expand the Class1 object variable x, and then expand the Prop1 property.
- Collapse the branch from x.
- Press the F8 key. The IDE will crash and you may see an error message indicating that an application error has occurred in VB5.exe.
Keywords: kbbug kbfix kbvbp500sp2fix kbvs97sp2fix KB171532