Microsoft KB Archive/170859
Article ID: 170859
Article Last Modified on 6/23/2005
- Microsoft Internet Information Server 2.0
- Microsoft Internet Information Server 3.0
This article was previously published under Q170859
We strongly recommend that all users upgrade to Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) version 6.0 running on Microsoft Windows Server 2003. IIS 6.0 significantly increases Web infrastructure security. For more information about IIS security-related topics, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
After you install a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate, the Require Secure SSL Channel option in Internet Service Manager, WWW Service Properties, Directory Properties is not available (greyed out).
There are several causes of this condition, including:
- The WWW service has not been stopped and restarted after the certificate was installed.
- No registry entry exists for Sspifilt.dll in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/ System/CurrentControlSet/Services/W3SVC/Parameters/Filter DLLs.
- The registry entry above exists, but it includes a space in the full drive path description.
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT to correct them. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.
For the causes above, implement the following workarounds, respectively:
- Stop and restart the WWW service using Internet Service Manager.
- Open Registry Editor. Open the registry to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/ System/CurrentControlSet/Services/W3SVC/Parameters/Filter DLLs. Enter the full path and file name for Sspifilt.dll file (usually found in the %System%\System32\Inetsrv subdirectory) in the registry value by double-clicking the value, then entering full path and file name in the String Editor. Be sure to confirm that the file exists in the path entered into the registry. Close the registry by selecting Registry, Exit, then stop and restart the WWW service.
- If the full path and file name for the Sspifilt.dll file contains any spaces in the registry value above, use the String editor to remove the spaces, close the registry, then stop and restart the WWW service.
Additional query words: ssl grey gray greyed out
Keywords: kbprb kbusage KB170859