Microsoft KB Archive/170771
Article ID: 170771
Article Last Modified on 2/26/2007
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Cluster Server 1.1
This article was previously published under Q170771
If a server runs Microsoft Cluster Server and the installed network adapters obtain IP addresses from a DHCP server, the ability to access the cluster may be compromised.
Microsoft Cluster Server expects the primary address on configured network cards to remain available. If a leased address expires and cannot be renewed, network connectivity may be lost. As a result, failures may occur within the cluster.
To prevent IP address failure and other problems, use a static IP address for network adapters installed in cluster nodes. Static addresses will ensure availability of critical IP addresses and will further ensure high availability of important resources.
Additional query words: MSCS server cluster
Keywords: kbinfo kbsetup KB170771