Microsoft KB Archive/170598
Article ID: 170598
Article Last Modified on 2/27/2007
- Microsoft Zero Administration Kit for Windows NT Workstation 4.0
This article was previously published under Q170598
When you view the Start menu on a Zero Administration Kit (ZAK) Appstation client, some Start menu items may be missing.
ZAK Appstation clients obtain Start menu information from the ZAK server. The behavior described above occurs when any of the following conditions exists:
- The ZAK Appstation client is unable to connect to the ZAK server.
- The Start menu information on the ZAK server is damaged.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Log on to the ZAK Appstation client as the local administrator.
- Attempt to locate the ZAK server on the network by typing the following command at a command prompt:
net view \\<ZAK server name>
- If the NET VIEW command is not successful, take steps to resolve any basic network connectivity problems.
- When you have established communication between the ZAK server and the ZAK Appstation client over the network, check to see if the original Start menu problem is resolved.
If some items are still missing from the Start menu, verify that the Start menu information on the ZAK server has not been changed or damaged. The Start menu information is stored on the ZAK server in the following folder:
This folder contains the .lnk files for the Start menu on ZAK Appstation clients.
By design, the following items are not displayed on the Start menu on a ZAK Appstation client:
- Shut Down
If network connectivity is lost, the Programs menu on the Start menu is empty. In addition, the New Office Document and Open Office Document commands are not available.
Additional query words: 1.00
Keywords: kbnetwork kbui KB170598