Microsoft KB Archive/170072
Article ID: 170072
Article Last Modified on 6/28/2004
- Microsoft SNA Server 4.0
This article was previously published under Q170072
If you are currently running Host Security and recently applied Microsoft SNA Server, version 3.0 Service Pack 1 (SP1), you must also run the UPDATE.EXE under the \Hostsec directory to update these components. After a reboot, the SnaBase and Host Security modules will fail and display the following errors:
- When you open SNA Manager you will get an error with diagonal lines across the screen.
- The Windows NT Server Event Viewer System log will show the following events coming from Service Control Manager.
- If you try to start the SnaBase Service you will get the following error:
A problem was found in the Host Security Update program after SNA Server 3.0 SP1 was released. If the 3.0 SP1 Host Security Update program is run by itself, or is run after the SNA Server 3.0 SP1 Update program, the SNAREG.DLL file is renamed, causing the SnaBase and Host Security modules to fail to function upon reboot.
In order to correct this problem, Microsoft suggests one of the following:
- If SNA Server is also running on the same computer as the Host Security components, reapply SNA Server 3.0 SP1 by re-running the SNA Server 3.0 SP1 UPDATE program. This will reapply the SNAREG.DLL file.
- If SNA Server is not running on this computer, locate a server running SNA Server 3.0 SP1 and copy <snaroot>\system\SNAREG.DLL to the system path of the computer running the Host Security service(s).
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available.
Keywords: kbbug KB170072