Microsoft KB Archive/169080
Cannot Select System.dat File with Emergency Recovery Utility
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows 95
When you use the Emergency Recovery Utility (ERU) that is included on the Windows 95 CD-ROM, you may be unable to select the System.dat check box.
The System.dat file is too large to fit on a floppy disk.
To back up the System.dat file with the ERU, back up to a folder on your hard disk with enough free space for the System.dat file and any other files you select. To do so, use the following steps:
- Double-click the Eru.exe file in the Other\Misc\Eru folder on the Windows 95 CD-ROM.
- Click Next.
- When you are prompted "Please select the drive or path in which you wish to save the emergency recovery information," click Other Directory.
- Click Next.
- In the Directory box, type the path of the folder you are backing up to, and then click Next.
- Click Custom.
- Click a file to select or clear the check box. By default, files listed in the Optional Files box are all selected for backup.
- Click OK, and then click Next. The ERU copies the files selected.
- Click OK.
If you select the System.dat check box and the System.dat file is too large to fit on a floppy disk, the box briefly appears to be checked before it is cleared by the ERU.
For additional information about the Emergency Recovery Utility, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q139437 Windows 95 Emergency Recovery Utility
Keywords : kbtool win95
Issue type :
Technology : kbWin95search kbWin95
Last Reviewed: December 15, 2000