Microsoft KB Archive/168834
Article ID: 168834
Article Last Modified on 11/9/2000
- Microsoft PowerPoint 97 Standard Edition, when used with:
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
This article was previously published under Q168834
When you save a copy of a Microsoft PowerPoint 97 presentation (which is linked or embedded in another application) to the Windows NT version 4.0 desktop, you cannot see the file on the desktop.
This problem occurs because the file is saved to the default user profile in the <WINNT Folder>\profiles\default user\desktop folder, and you are logged on to Windows NT under a specific user profile. Windows NT maintains separate desktop folders for each profile.
To resolve this problem, save the PowerPoint presentation in the desktop folder of the profile which belongs to you. To do this, use these steps:
- Open the file that contains the embedded or linked PowerPoint presentation.
- Right-click the embedded or linked PowerPoint presentation, click Presentation Object, and then click Open.
- On the File menu, click Save As Copy.
Select the following folder:
<WINNT Folder>\profiles\<current user>\desktop
where <WINNT Folder> is the path to the Windows NT files and <current user> represents the user name you use to log on to Windows NT.
- In the Name box, type a name for the presentation, and then click Save.
The PowerPoint presentation will be saved to your desktop folder.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft PowerPoint 97 for Windows.
Additional query words: 97 missing file unable broken
Keywords: kbui kbprb KB168834