Microsoft KB Archive/168767
Article ID: 168767
Article Last Modified on 1/19/2007
- Microsoft Outlook 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q168767
If you import a message that contains single-byte non-English characters such as Greek or German from a cc:Mail bulletin board, the non-English characters do not display properly. If you send a message to yourself, the characters are correct. This problem only occurs when the message goes through a cc:Mail bulletin board.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Outlook 97 for Windows. This problem was corrected in Microsoft Outlook 97 version 8.02 for Windows.
This problem occurs under the following conditions:
- You are running the United States English version of Outlook 97 on the Windows 95 or NT 4.0 operating systems.
- You have the Windows Regional Settings and Keyboard set to a language that uses single-byte non-English characters, such as Greek or German. This problem does not occur with languages such as Japanese.
- You have the cc:Mail transport service in your Outlook profile.
Steps to Reproduce Problem
Under these conditions, you can reproduce this problem with the following steps:
- Create an entry in your Personal Address Book (PAB) for an existing cc:Mail bulletin board.
- Compose a new mail message that contains some Greek or German characters (depending on your keyboard settings) in the message subject and message body, and then send the message to the bulletin board by using the PAB entry.
- On the Tools menu, click "cc:Mail Service Tools" and then click "Import cc:Mail Bulletin Boards" to import the bulletin board containing your message.
The message that you sent to the bulletin board loses all of its Greek or German characters when imported. The foreign characters appear as garbage or scrambled characters.
Keywords: kbbug kbprb KB168767