Microsoft KB Archive/168727
Article ID: 168727
Article Last Modified on 1/19/2007
- Microsoft Outlook 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q168727
The Rules Wizard is a free utility that allows you to filter or sort e-mail messages based on user-defined criteria. It is available for download on the Microsoft Web site at:
NOTE: Because the Microsoft Web site is regularly updated, the site address may change without notice. If this occurs, link to the Microsoft home page at the following address:
If you want to create a rule that will move e-mail messages from the Inbox to a specific folder based on one criteria or another, you must use two rules to perform the action.
For example, to move all messages that contain either "Apples" or "Oranges" to a folder you created named Apples/Oranges, do the following:
- Create a rule that looks for the text, Apples and moves it to the Apples/Oranges folder.
- On the Tools menu, click Rules Wizard.
- Click New to start creating the rule.
- In "Which type of rule do you want to create", select "Move messages based on content."
- Click "When I receive a message in my Inbox" as when to apply the rule.
- In the Rule Description, click "specific words", type Apples as the text to search for, then click OK.
- In the Rule Description, click "specified", click the Apples/Oranges folder, click OK, then click Next.
- Select the condition you prefer, such as "with specific words in the subject or body," then click Next.
- Select what you want to do to the message, such as "Move it to the specified folder," then click Next.
- Click to select any exceptions to the rule, then click Next.
- Type Apples as the name for this rule, click "Turn on this rule", and then click Finish.
- Copy and modify the first rule.
- In the opening dialog box of the Rules Wizard, select the rule created in step 1.
- Click Copy, then click Rename. Type Oranges, in New Name, then click OK.
- In the Rule description, click Apples, then change it to Oranges in Search Text and click OK.
- In "Apply rules in the following order", click to check the Oranges rule, then click OK.
You cannot create a single rule which performs an action based on an "either/or" condition using the Rules Wizard for Microsoft Outlook 97.
Keywords: kbhowto KB168727