Microsoft KB Archive/168674
Article ID: 168674
Article Last Modified on 7/20/2007
- Microsoft PowerPoint 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q168674
In PowerPoint 97, when you move a shape, it snaps to a guide when its edge approaches the guide; the center of a shape does not snap to a guide. In contrast, when you move a shape across a guide in PowerPoint for Windows 95, version 7.0, or PowerPoint for Windows, version 4.0, the shape snaps to the guide when the shape's edge and center cross the guide.
Microsoft PowerPoint 97 uses OfficeArt, which does not support the snap to feature for the center of an object.
To work around this behavior, use the appropriate method for your situation.
Method 1: If the Guide Is in the Middle of the Slide
If the guide you want to snap the object to is in the middle of the slide, use the following steps to center the object:
- Select the object you want to center.
- On the Draw menu, point to Align Or Distribute, and click Relative To Slide. (Relative To Slide should have a check mark next to it.)
- On the Draw menu, point to Align Or Distribute, and then click either Align Middle or Align Center.
Method 2: If the Guide Is Not Centered
If the guide you are trying to snap the object to is not centered, you can use the nudge feature to position the object.
- Select the object you want to position, point to Nudge on the Draw menu and then click Up, Down, Left, or Right.
- Select the object and then press the appropriate arrow key on the numeric keypad.
This feature is under review and will be considered for inclusion in a future release.
The "Add or delete a guide" help topic incorrectly states the following:
Straight lines, both horizontal and vertical, used to visually align objects. You can add, move, and delete guides. When an object is close to a guide, its corner or center, whichever is closer, snaps to the guide.
To locate this help topic, click the Office Assistant, type guide, click Search, and then click to view "Add or delete a guide."
Additional query words: 97 ppt97 ppt8 ppt8.0 8.00 sticky gride giude grid snap
Keywords: kbdraw kbprb KB168674