Microsoft KB Archive/167122
Article ID: 167122
Article Last Modified on 12/10/2003
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Learning Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0 Professional Edition
This article was previously published under Q167122
Applications compiled and tested with earlier versions of the ListView control may encounter an unexpected error:
when running on a system with version 5.00.3714 of COMCTL32.OCX. This unexpected error may cause the application to crash if it was not designed to handle unexpected errors.
The ListView control in COMCTL32.OCX version 5.00.3714 incorrectly raises this error when the FindItem method is called to search on the item Tags or SubItems and the ListView is empty.
This problem has been fixed in version 5.00.3828 of COMCTL32.OCX and is available in Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 1.
For additional information about the Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 1, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
170365 : INFO: Visual Studio 97 Service Packs - What, Where, and Why
For customers who do not own Visual Basic 5.0, Visual C++ 5.0, or Visual Studio 97 the COMCTL32.OCX update is available to download separately.
For instructions on how to obtain the COMCTL32.OCX update, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
167121 : FILE: Updated COMCTL32.OCX Version 5.00.3828 Available
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article. This bug has been corrected in COMCTL32.OCX, version 5.00.3828. This bug has also been corrected in Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 1.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Start Visual Basic and create a new Standard EXE project.
- Select Project/Components... from the menu and add the "Microsoft Windows Common Controls 5.0" to the project.
- Add a ListView control to the default form in the project.
In the click event of the list view, add the following code to call the FindItem method:
Private Sub ListView1_Click() ListView1.FindItem "bob", lvwTag End Sub
- Run the project and click on ListView. This should result in the error "Run-time error '35600': Index out of bounds."
Keywords: kbbug kbfix kbvbp500sp2fix kbvs97sp1fix kbvs97sp2fix kbvbp500sp1fix KB167122