Microsoft KB Archive/158519
Article ID: 158519
Article Last Modified on 10/28/2006
- Microsoft Exchange Client 4.0 for Macintosh
This article was previously published under Q158519
This article tells you how to create a fresh installation of the Microsoft Exchange Macintosh client on a workstation where the client was previously installed.
To create a fresh install on the Macintosh Exchange client on a workstation where the client was previously installed:
- Create a Temp folder on the desktop.
- If using offline folders (that is, working offline), make sure a connection is made to Microsoft Exchange Server, and all information is synchronized with the server. To synchronize: On the Tools menu, click Synchronize, and click All Folders).
- Move any Personal Folders and/or Personal Address Books to the Temp folder you created in Step 1.
- Move the files Microsoft OLE Automation, Microsoft OLE Extension, and Microsoft OLE Library to the Temp folder created in Step 1.
NOTE: These OLE files are located in the System Folder in the Extensions folder.
- Drag the "Microsoft Exchange" folder (or the folder where the Macintosh Exchange client was previously installed) and all of its contents to the Trash can on the desktop.
- Open the System folder, open the Preferences subfolder, and drag the following files and folders to the trash can on the desktop:
Exchange Files folder
Exchange Help folder
Exchange Profiles folder
Exchange Preferences file
Exchange Services file
RPC Preferences file
- Open the System folder, open the Extensions subfolder, and drag the following file to the trash can on the desktop:
Microsoft RPC Runtime Library
- Open the System folder and drag the following folder to the trash can on the desktop:
Exchange Temporary Items
- If your profile is Appletalk, it is also recommended that you remove the Appletalk Preferences file located in the Preferences folder in the System folder.
- Hold down Option key and empty trash.
NOTE: To empty trash: from Finder, click the Special menu and then click the "Empty Trash" option.
- Restart the Macintosh.
- Rebuild the desktop on restart:
- Hold down the Option and Apple keys when restarting the Macintosh.
- Click OK when prompted to rebuild the desktop file(s).
- Re-install the Macintosh Exchange client: insert the Microsoft Exchange Macintosh client compact disc in the Macintosh CD-ROM drive, and click Microsoft Exchange Setup.
- Create a new profile by double-clicking on the "Exchange Settings" icon in the Microsoft Exchange folder (or where you installed the Microsoft Exchange Macintosh client). Choose Show Profiles. Choose Add, and then follow the steps in the Profile Wizard.
NOTE: If client was working offline previously, a new offline folder will need to be re-created. Click Yes when prompted with "Do you travel with this computer?" during profile creation.
- Remove and re-create any old Inbox Assistant rules.
- Test connectivity between Microsoft Exchange Server and Microsoft Exchange Macintosh client.
- Copy the Personal Folders and Personal Address Book files from the Temp folder on the desktop (the folder created in Step 1) to the folder where the Microsoft Exchange Macintosh client was installed (by default this is the Microsoft Exchange folder).
NOTE: If necessary, add the Personal Folders and Personal Address Book files to the appropriate Profile Service:
- Run Exchange Settings, click Show Profiles,open the appropriate profile and edit as needed.
- Drag the Temp folder on the desktop to the trash can.
For additional information, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
156028 XCLN MAC: List of Files Installed and Used
Additional query words: clean boot delete uninstall install
Keywords: boot clean delete kbusage uninstall KB158519