Microsoft KB Archive/155040
Article ID: 155040
Article Last Modified on 11/1/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.5
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q155040
If you use Wins Administrator or Winscl.exe to backup a WINS database, you may get an error message indicating that the database cannot be backed up. Wins will also post Event ID 4288 in the System Log.
There may be multiple causes for this problem. Use the following steps to assist in determining the root cause. For example, the Wins event message may have the following hex data:
Perform the following steps to extract and analyze the WINS error code:
- Check the hex data's second double-word (DWORD), that always indicates the error code. In this example, the error code is FDFC. Your error code may be different.
- Take the 2s complement of the error code, that is 516, and then check out the error status in the Jet header file. In this example, error 516 maps to JET_errLoggingDisabled. This indicates that the Wins backup failed because logging is disabled.
The 2s Complement is a method for storing negative numbers such as these error conditions in WINS. To determine the 2s complement of the number in the example, follow these steps:
- Start Calculator (Calc.exe).
- On the View menu, click Scientific, and then click Hex.
- Type FDFC, click Xor, and then click FFFF.
- Click =, click +, and then click 1.
- Click =, and then click Dec to convert the result to decimal.
For additional information, please see the following articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Keywords: kbnetwork KB155040