Microsoft KB Archive/153121
Article ID: 153121
Article Last Modified on 10/28/2006
- Microsoft Exchange Server 4.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q153121
This article contains information about migrating users from a Microsoft Windows for Workgroups postoffice (WGPO) to Microsoft Exchange Server.
Migrating users to Microsoft Exchange Server from a WGPO is the same as migrating users from a Microsoft Mail 3.x postoffice. The basic architecture of a WGPO and a Microsoft Mail postoffice is the same; therefore, using the Microsoft Exchange Migration Wizard against a WGPO to migrate users to Microsoft Exchange works the same way with Windows for Workgroups as it does with Microsoft Mail.
Two things to be aware of when migrating from a WGPO:
- When you use the Migration Wizard, an administrator account needs to be selected. With Microsoft Mail 3.x, the account named ADMINISTRATOR was the primary administrator account. With a WGPO, a user account with administration rights is the primary account. This user account is the account that is used as the administrator account by the Microsoft Exchange Migration Wizard.
- With a WGPO, the default location for a user's mail message file(MMF) is the user's local hard disk drive. Migrate the user to Microsoft Exchange and then import the data from the local MMF to the Microsoft Exchange Server-based inbox or to their local Personal Information Store (PST) file.
For details on migrating Microsoft Mail users to Microsoft Exchange, see chapter 4 of the Microsoft Exchange Migration Guide. Also see the document on the Microsoft Exchange Server compact disc about Migrating Microsoft Mail users to Exchange. The document can be found with the following path:
Additional query words: migration workgroup wgpo
Keywords: kbhowto kbusage KB153121