Microsoft KB Archive/126176
WD6x: WordPerfect Conversion Kit Available
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Word for Windows, versions 6.0, 6.0a, 6.0c
A Supplemental WordPerfect Conversion Kit is available for users of Word 6.0, 6.0a, and 6.0c for Windows. Converters supplied on this disk include an updated WordPerfect 5.x converter and an import-only WordPerfect 6.0 converter. NOTE: For users of Word 6.0 for Windows NT, the WordPerfect 5.x/6.x converters are available through an Application Note (GC1183).
For information about how to obtain this application note, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q133134 GC1183: WordPerfect 5.x/6.x Converters for WordNT Available
Components Supplied in the Kit
The kit includes two converters, five fonts, and two templates.
Two converters for use with Word 6.0 for Windows are:
- WordPerfect 6.x import text converter that allows Word 6.0 for Windows to read files created by WordPerfect 6.0, 6.0a, and 6.0b for MS-DOS and WordPerfect 6.0, 6.0a, and 6.1 for Windows.
- Updated WordPerfect 5.x import/export text converter that allows Word 6.0 for Windows to convert to and from WordPerfect 5.0, 5.1, and 5.1+ for MS-DOS format and WordPerfect 5.1 and 5.2 for Windows format.
The five TrueType fonts can be used by Word 6.0 for Windows for improving import conversion of characters from the following WordPerfect character sets: Greek, Iconic Symbols, Math/Scientific, Multinational, and Typographic.
Two WordPerfect templates ease the transition to Word for Windows (one template for WordPerfect for Windows users, the other template for WordPerfect for MS-DOS users). These templates emulate some of the keyboard shortcuts, macros, toolbars, and styles as in WordPerfect versions 5.x and 6.x.
To Obtain the WPFT Supplemental File Conversion Kit
The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center. Click the file name below to download the file:
For additional information about how to download Microsoft Support files, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q119591 How to Obtain Microsoft Support Files from Online Services
Microsoft used the most current virus detection software available on the date of posting to scan this file for viruses. Once posted, the file is housed on secure servers that prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
Use these steps to install the conversion kit:
- Quit Word if it is running.
- If you are installing the conversion kit from a disk, insert the disk in the appropriate disk drive. If you downloaded Wpcnv.exe from an online service, you need to expand the files so they can be installed:
- In File Manager, locate Wpcnv.exe and double-click the file name.
- Click OK.
- In File Manager, select the drive letter and directory where Wpcnv.exe is located. Locate the Setup.exe file. (If you ordered the kit on a disk, Setup.exe is on the disk in drive A or B. If you downloaded the file, Setup.exe is in the same directory as Wpcnv.exe.) Double-click Setup.exe to set up the conversion files.
Before you open WordPerfect documents in Word, make sure the Confirm Conversions check box is selected in the Open dialog box (click Open on the File menu).
After you select the name of the WordPerfect 6.0 or 6.1 document you want to open, a Convert File dialog box appears. Select the WordPerfect 6.0 or 6.1 file type in the Convert File dialog box. You must do this each time you open a WordPerfect file.
Setup Installs the Following Files
WPFT5.CNV WordPerfect 5.x import/export converter WPFT6.CNV WordPerfect 6.x import only converter WPFT5.EQU WordPerfect Equations converter WPGIMP.FLT WordPerfect graphics import filter WPGEXP.FLT WordPerfect graphics export filter WPCONV.DOC WordPerfect Kit Documentation WPWIN.DOT Template: WordPerfect for Windows users WPDOS.DOT Template: WordPerfect for DOS users GREKSYMB.TTF WordPerfect font ICONSYEX.TFF WordPerfect font MATHEXT.TFF WordPerfect font MULTIEXT.TFF WordPerfect font TYPOEXT.TFF WordPerfect font
For information about the two templates and the features that are converted by the WordPerfect converters, open and read the Wpconv.doc document located in the Word for Windows program directory (usually, C:\Winword).
If you have questions about installing or using the converters supplied on this disk, in the United States call Product Support Services at (425) 462-9673. Outside the United States, contact your local Microsoft subsidiary.
Additional query words: word6 ntword textconv appsconv 6.00a 6.00c winword geninfo conversion converted converts converter converters conversions disks transfer transfers translation translate get access wp wpkit
Keywords : kb3rdparty kbfile kbdta
Issue type : kbhowto
Technology : kbWordSearch kbWordWSearch
Last Reviewed: November 4, 2000