Microsoft KB Archive/121326
XL5: GP Fault or Unexpected Results Using Object Dialog Box
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Excel for Windows, version 5.0
In Microsoft Excel, when you use the Object dialog box to insert an object from a new file, using the Create New tab, one of the following symptoms occurs:
- The client application starts, and it then closes without giving you a chance to edit the object. Additionally, the object is inserted on your worksheet as a picture, and if you double-click the object, the Format Object dialog box is displayed.
- The client application starts, and you receive a general protection (GP) fault.
This behavior occurs when the following conditions are true:
- You use the Create New tab in the Object dialog box to create the object.
- The Link To File check box is selected on the Create From File tab.
If the Display As Icon check box is selected on the Create New tab under the above conditions, the client application starts as expected, and then closes without giving you a chance to edit the object. The object is inserted as a picture instead of as an embedded object.
If the Display As Icon check box (on the Create New tab) is not selected, under the above conditions, the client application starts as expected, but you receive a GP fault in Microsoft Excel.
To avoid this behavior when you insert an object using the Create New tab in the Object dialog box, make sure that the Link To File check box on the Create From File tab is not selected.
When you use the Create New tab in the Object dialog box, you do not need to use the check boxes on the Create From File tab, and vice versa.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was corrected in Microsoft Excel version 5.0c for Windows.
For more information about Embedding New Information In A Microsoft Excel Document, choose the Search button in Help and type:
object linking and embedding, creating embedded objects
Additional query words: officeinterop gpf
Version : 5.00
Platform : WINDOWS
Issue type :
Last Reviewed: September 14, 1999