How to Optimize the Distribution of Applications
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft FoxPro for Windows, version 2.5
- Microsoft FoxPro for MS-DOS, version 2.5
Distributed applications require certain FoxPro files, but these files do not need to be included in every FoxPro application. Installing these files separately will save disk space if several FoxPro applications are run on a single system. In addition, your projects can be created as compact executable files, free of the required files that are not part of your project, and the distribution disks will take less time to create, since you can exclude the .ESL files from the disk-creation process.
See below for a procedure that explains how to streamline the distribution process in this manner.
To streamline the process of generating FoxPro applications, especially on the Windows platform, it is best to create an application that installs only the required files, and then manually modify the AUTOEXEC.BAT to include the directory where the FoxPro files are stored.
To do this:
Create a project called Master by typing the following command in the Command window: '
MODIFY PROJECT master
- Choose the Add button and select Program from the Type list.
Choose the New button, and name the program Null. This program should contain the following line by itself: '
*This is all that is in this application, a comment.
- Create a directory called FOXRUN, and include this directory in the PATH statement in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file.
- Put all files that are required (the FOX*.ES* files and any distributable fonts or general utilities that your application may require) in the FOXRUN directory.
- Build image disks for the Master project.
NOTE: For FoxPro for Windows, use the SetupWizard to create the necessary compressed files for all disk formats.
You can now install the Master application and modify the AUTOEXEC.BAT path statement to point to the FOXRUN directory. This directory will contain just the FOX*.ES* file(s) and will make the required changes to the proper *.INI files.
Additional query words: FoxDos FoxWin distribution kit setup installaton set up
Keywords : kbsetup FxsetupGeneral
Version : 2.50 | 2.50
Platform : MS-DOS WINDOWS
Issue type :