Microsoft KB Archive/105315
How to Convert Between Word for Windows 6.0 and Lotus Notes
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Word for Windows, versions 6.0, 6.0a, 6.0c
When you install Word 6.0 on a system on which Lotus Notes version 2.x or 3.0 is already installed, Word detects your Notes installation and automatically installs a converter that can be used by Notes to import Word version 1.x, 2.x, and 6.0 documents into a Notes memo.
To Import a Word 6.0 Document into a Notes Memo
- In Notes, either double-click (open) an existing mail memo composition or choose Compose Memo from the Mail menu to create a new mail memo.
- Position the cursor between the brackets that denote the body of memo. If you have done so correctly, the phrase "Body of memo" will appear at the bottom of the memo window.
- From the File menu, choose Import, specify the location and name of the Word 6.0 document, choose the "Microsoft Word" option that now appears at the top of the format list, and click the Import Button.
Lotus Notes will import your Word document with formatting intact into the body of the current mail memo.
To export a Notes memo for use in Word 6.0, you must export to Rich Text Format or another format that Word can read.
To Export Lotus Notes Memos into RTF Format
- In Notes, either double-click (open) an existing mail memo composition or choose Compose Memo from the Mail menu to create a new mail memo and add the information you want to export.
- From the File menu, choose Export, specify the location and output filename desired for the RTF file, select Microsoft Word RTF, and choose the Export button.
Notes will export the memo with formatting intact into an RTF file that can subsequently be opened in Word.
When Word 6.0 Setup detects a Notes 2.x or 3.0 installation, it places the converter file _MSIMP.DLL in the Lotus Notes program directory and adds the following line to NOTES.INI:
The Microsoft Word option subsequently becomes the first format option on the Lotus Notes import format list.
When you choose to open a Word 6.0 document into Notes using the Microsoft Word import option, _MSIMP.DLL first processes the Word 6.0 document and then passes that information to Lotus Corporation's own RTF reader _IRTF.DLL. Because Lotus Notes' RTF reader does not directly support formatting features new to Word 6.0, these features are not retained.
According to Lotus, Notes versions 2.0, 2.1, and 3.0 support import and export of RTF formatting controls that existed at the time Word 1.0 for Windows and Word 5.0 for MS-DOS were released. For more information on what Lotus Notes will import from and export to RTF (and thus import from Word 6.0 format), do the following:
- From the Lotus Notes Help menu at the upper-right of the Notes WorkSpace screen, choose the Index option.
- From the Notes Online - Main Help Index window, choose to view General Help Indexes.
- In the General Help Index window, choose to view the Rich Text Format as Intermediate File Format topic under either the Import or Export category.
Lotus Notes is manufactured by Lotus Development Corporation, a vendor independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.
For more information or support with Lotus Notes, Contact Lotus Development Corporation Technical Support at (617) 253-9150.
Additional query words: textconv 6.00a 6.00c lotusnotes conversion convert converted converts converting transfer transferred transfers transferring translation translate translated translates translating word-perfect word perfect word6
Keywords : kbconversion
Issue type :
Technology : kbWordSearch kbWordWSearch
Last Reviewed: November 4, 2000