Microsoft KB Archive/104996
Article ID: 104996
Article Last Modified on 5/6/2003
- Microsoft MS-DOS 5.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft MS-DOS 5.0a
- Microsoft MS-DOS 6.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft MS-DOS 6.2 Standard Edition
- Microsoft MS-DOS 6.21 Standard Edition
- Microsoft MS-DOS 6.22 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q104996
If you try to format a 255-head drive you receive a "divide by zero" error message.
MS-DOS FORMAT does not support drives with more than 254 heads.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in MS-DOS versions 5.x, 6.0, 6.2, and 6.21. We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
Additional query words: 6.22 5.0, 5.0a 5.00 5.00a 6.00 6.20 max_head command