Microsoft KB Archive/104565
Mac Works: WP Inserts Extra Tab in Copied DB Data
PSS ID Number: Q104565 Article last modified on 10-22-1998
2.0 3.0 4.0
The information in this article applies to:
- == Microsoft Works for the Macintosh, versions 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0 ==
In Microsoft Works, field data moves to the next field when it is copied from a Database document, pasted into a Word Processor document, then copied/pasted back into the Database document.
A tab is automatically placed at the beginning of each database field entry. When you paste edited field entries from a Word Processor document back into a Database document, those tabs force the data into the next field.
Create an empty “fake” field in the Database document directly to the left of the intended destination field. Paste the field entries into the “fake” field. The tabs will move the field entries to the left, into the intended destination field, and leave the “fake” field blank. Delete the blank “fake” field.
Steps to Reproduce the Problem
- Open the Database file. Change to list view.
- Select the column of field entries by clicking the field name. From the Edit menu, choose Copy.
- From the File menu, choose New, and create a new Word Processor document.
- From the Edit menu, choose Paste.
- Edit the field entries. Delete any blank top lines and the field name so that the first field entry is at the top of the Word Processor document.
- From the Edit menu, choose Select All, then choose Copy.
- From the Window menu choose the Database document.
- Select the field into which you want to paste the edited field entries, by clicking the field name.
- From the Edit menu, choose Paste. A warning dialog box will appear, “Some data in existing non-selected cells will be lost. Do you want to continue?” Click OK.
Pasted data appears in the field column directly to the right of the intended destination field, overwriting any existing data in the field. The intended destination field is blank.
KBCategory: kbother KBSubcategory: macworkskb
Additional reference words: 2.00 3.00 3.00a mac mwksprb move shift displace next column mwksdb mwkswp
====================================================================== Version : 2.0 3.0 4.0 Platform : MACINTOSH Issue type : kbprb ============================================================================= Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1998.