Difference between revisions of "Microsoft KB Archive/102379"
m (1 revision imported: importing part 2)
Latest revision as of 20:57, 16 July 2020
Adding User on LM 2.2 BDC Generates Incorrect Error
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows NT Server version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server
Adding a user on a LAN Manager 2.2 backup domain controller (BDC) generates an incorrect error message.
There is a bug in LAN Manager 2.2 that causes the wrong error code to be returned when User Manager tries to add an account on a BDC rather than on the primary domain controller (PDC). This occurs only when the account you are logged on to does not have a password (which is not a good practice for an account with administrative privileges). The error message states that there is a password mismatch rather than telling you to go to the PDC because you cannot do this on a BDC.
This is a problem with LAN Manager 2.2. When you are connected to the server with an Administrator account that has no password, LAN Manager 2.2 returns the wrong error message when attempting to add a user on the BDC. If you connect using an Administrator account that does have a password, it returns the correct error message.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Start the User Manager for Domains, with the focus on a LAN Manager 2.2 backup server (which is a member of the same domain).
- From the User menu, choose thet New User option.
- In the Username SLE, type a user name, (for example: DOE) but do not fill in the Password SLEs.
- Choose Add. This dialog box appears:
The error message appears even if you give the user a password.
Additional query words: prodnt
Keywords : kbnetwork
Issue type :
Technology : kbWinNTsearch kbWinNTWsearch kbWinNTW310 kbWinNTSsearch kbWinNTS310 kbWinNTAdvSerSearch kbWinNTS310xsearch kbWinNT310xSearch kbWinNTW310Search
Last Reviewed: October 27, 2000