Microsoft KB Archive/100656
Article ID: 100656
Article Last Modified on 10/1/1999
- Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.1
This article was previously published under Q100656
The following article contains information on the use of Windows for Workgroups with third-party products or configurations that have not been tested and are not supported by Microsoft.
If the steps or procedures described in this article do not function properly, contact the manufacturer of the third-party product for more information.
When you print to a remote Lexmark IBM 4037 or 4039 printer from a Windows for Workgroups machine using the PCL 5 language driver that comes with the printer, you receive one of the following error messages:
- Error writing to LPT1
- Printer port is offline or disconnected
To eliminate either of these error messages, change the driver settings.
NOTE: The 4039 PostScript printer drivers do not require any changes.
The Lexmark IBM 4039 line of printers ship with an accelerated printer driver (a PCL 5 driver specific to the 4039 printers) and a PostScript driver. To use the accelerated driver to print to a Lexmark IBM 4039 printer over a Windows for Workgroups network, you must disable the Fast Printing Direct To Port option on the client machine. To do this, use the following steps:
- In Control Panel, choose the Printers icon.
- Select the IBM 4039 Print Accelerator Driver. (This is the PCL 5 language driver that comes with the printer.)
- Choose the Setup button and then the Options button.
- Clear the Fast Printing Direct To Port check box.
- This change does not need to be made on the system that is sharing the Lexmark 4039 printer.
- According to the "Software Application Driver Information Manual" from IBM, the 4019 and 4029 printer drivers do not work with the 4039 printer.
For more information, call Lexmark Customer Support. The products included here are manufactured by vendors independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this products' performance or reliability.
Additional query words: 3rdparty err msg 3.10 IBM LEXMARK POSTSCRIPT HPPCL5 10R 12R 16R