Microsoft KB Archive/93295
ACC1x: "Couldn't Open File" Error Message
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Access versions 1.0, 1.1
Attempting to open a database exclusively when another user already has it open results in the error message:
Couldn't open file <database name>.
The Help topic says in part "You must have ReadData permission for the file in order to view its data." The error message and Help text are misleading because the problem is that the file cannot be opened exclusively.
To open the file successfully:
- Press ESC or choose the OK button to exit the error message.
- From the File menu, choose Open Database.
- Select the database you want to open.
- Clear the Exclusive check box.
- Choose OK.
This behavior no longer occurs in Microsoft Access version 2.0.
Additional query words: network share checkbox
Keywords : kberrmsg kbusage
Issue type : kbprb
Last Reviewed: November 4, 2000