Microsoft KB Archive/932157
Article ID: 932157
Article Last Modified on 4/25/2007
- Microsoft XBox 360 Video Game System
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Windows Vista Ultimate
- Microsoft Xbox
When you try to connect an Xbox 360 console to a Windows Vista-based Media Center computer, the connection is not established and you receive the following error message on the Xbox 360 console:
This behavior occurs if one or more of the following conditions are true:
- Windows Vista has not been activated on the computer.
- Another application is interrupting communication between the console and the computer.
- There is a problem with one of the network components.
THINGS TO TRY
Activate Windows Vista on the computer. To activate Windows Vista, follow theses steps:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- Click System Maintenance, and then click System.
- Click Click here to activate Windows now.
- Select the method that you want to use to activate.
Other programs that are running on the computer may be trying to send messages to the Xbox 360 console when the console has a session open with Media Center. Unauthorized messages will cause the session between Media Center and the console to be disconnected.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Click Start, type eventvwr.msc in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
- Expand Applications and Services Logs, and then click Media Center.
- Locate any event for which Error appears under Type and Media Remote Manager appears under Source.
- Double-click each item that satisfies these two conditions to view the description of the event. Look for a description that resembles the following:
Unauthorized window was detected while running the Media Center Experience, with file name 'C:\PROGRA~1\...
- Remove or disable the notification service for the program that is identified in the description. For more information about how to remove or disable the notification service for that program, see the support information for the program or contact the manufacturer.
Determine whether the network or the network router is causing the issue. For more information about network issues that can affect the connection between an Xbox 360 console and a Media Center-based computer, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
932161 Xbox 360: You experience connection issues when you connect a Windows Vista-based Media Center computer and an Xbox 360 console
For more information about Media Center Extenders, visit the following Web site:
Keywords: kbxboxperipherals kbxbox360pacrimportal kbxbox360europeportal kbxbox360americasportal kbxbox360ext kbpubtypekc kbtshoot KB932157