Microsoft KB Archive/931852
Article ID: 931852
Article Last Modified on 2/20/2007
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
When you start a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, you receive the following error message:
Additionally, when you try to download Windows Updates on this computer, you receive the following error message:
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, and then type net stop wuauserv.
- On the desktop, double-click My Computer, and then delete the
- Delete the
- Open the
drive:\Windowsfolder, and then rename the SoftwareDistribution folder as SoftwareDistributionOLD.
- Open the
drive:\Windows\system32 folder, and then follow these steps:
- Rename the Wuweb.dll file as Wuweb.dll.old.
- Rename the Wuapi.dll file as Wuapi.dll.old.
- Rename the Wuauclt.exe file as Wuauclt.exe.old.
- Rename the Wuaucpl.cpl file as Wuaucpl.cpl.old.
- Rename the Wuaueng1.dll file as Wuaueng1.dll.old.
- Rename the Wuaueng.dll file as Wuaueng.dll.old.
- Rename the Wuauserv.dll file as Wuauserv.dll.old.
- Rename the Wucltui.dll file as Wucltui.dll.old.
- Rename the Wups2.dll file as Wups2.dll.old.
- Rename the Wups.dll file as Wups.dll.old.
- Restart the computer.
Keywords: kbexpertisebeginner kbtshoot kbprb KB931852